Thursday, October 15, 2009

Torn.

We have had a nice and relaxing day here in Addis. We have enjoyed the streets and a bit of shopping, and are now getting packed up to head to the airport. We are all SO eager to see our family and friends, but at the same time our hearts are saddened to be leaving the people that we so quickly and so deeply came to love. We have all expressed that there will forever be a piece of Ethiopia in our hearts - we have been changed by the time we have had here.

Yesterday afternoon was incredible. We started our afternoon back at the LIA Merkato Compound, where a few of the boys were playing table tennis and had already put up the new nets we had given them. We started our afternoon in prayer with the LIA Merkato Staff, and then divided into two groups to head out into the streets of the Merkato Community to observe more about the challenges this community faces, and to pray for the needs we encountered as we walked. Personally, I wasn't really sure about this outing... Any time we have gone out into the streets, we tend to draw a lot of attention. However, this was much different than I had expected. Again, God had something bigger and better in store. The group I was divided into only had four of our team members, plus three LIA Merkato staff. Perhaps because our group was smaller in size, and we weren't toting along our bus, bags or cameras, we were able to walk through the streets as someone who lives here. The people near us went about their daily business (children playing, women visiting and doing laundry, etc.) without so much as a nod in our direction. The street that Dereje walked us down was a long, sloping downhill that allowed us to look out over the Merkato slum and see its expanse. I began to feel overwhelmed with the amount of poverty around us. As far as the eye could see - to the left, to the right, in front, and behind - there was poverty. It struck me that we would be escaping this poverty as we stepped on the plane in a short amount of time, and I was overcome with sadness for the people who live here, many who will never see anything else. I was feeling a sense of hopelessness. But then, God brought to mind Psalm 139:6-12....

"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depeths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you."

We looked up and saw in the distance the lush green mountains, where the golden sunshine was shining down through the clouds, and it was as if God was reassuring us that there is Hope amidst the darkness of Merkato - just as the people here have shown us with their smiles and their stories. I stepped around the corner when we returned to the Merkato compound to gather myself and my thoughts, and a dear woman who was popping popcorn over open coals saw me and motioned/asked why I was sad. I tried to explain to her that is was all just so overwhelming, and she quickly replied "Xabier..." (God...) and smiled and pointed towards the heavens. I know she was telling me that God is with them.

We then shared in a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony (very RICH and DELICIOUS) coffee. They roasted the coffee beans and prepared the coffee over the coals right in front of us, and then we shared in a time of coffee and fellowship with our new friends. They kept the coffee and laughter coming....it was wonderful.

Following coffee, we returned to the guest house for a brief meeting with Dr. Yared. He is so wise and godly. It is a privilege to listen to him. He shared his favorite scripture with us out of Titus 2, and then several thoughts as we prepare to depart. I will always remember him saying with a smile on his face "Do not be discouraged by what you have seen. God is with us. We are in a season of planting seed....the harvest is yet to come."

We ended our evening with an amazing dinner at an Ethiopian cultural restaurant. We shared injera and delicious food (really!!) as we sat and visited together with Dr. Yared, Debelle, and Ashagre. We also enjoyed some incredible Ethiopian tribal dancing. It was unbelievable!!! What a joy it will be when all of God's children go home to be with him and sing and dance together for eternity.

Thank you for your continued prayers for safe and smooth travel. If all goes according to plan, we will see many of you tomorrow evening around 5:00! We love you....

With full hearts from Africa,

The Africa Team

3 comments:

  1. Allyson,
    I know this will reach you when you arrive home. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I prayed for you and the team daily. One night I was listening to a choir CD singing "Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace." and I was thinking about your group. Hoping that you were receiving as well as giving. Your posts made it evident that you were. So proud of you, Allyson and can't wait to hear more. God speed!
    Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this blog site---it enabled us to experience a tiny portion of what your days were like and how God was moving in and around you.
    I wish I could be at the airport to see the excitement of those waiting for loved ones to return. I know personally of three little ones (and a dad) who have been crossing off the days until they see their mommy again! God bless you and continued prayers for a safe journey home.
    Sue and Keith Cheney
    Allyson, Keith & I are considering going on a mission trip in March! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Africa Team,
    God is smiling upon you all.. Since i've never had the opportunity to see the things you saw, felt, smelled,tasted..I can't fully understand the fullness of your journey. Your journey has been God ordained and the hope that you've all portayed is like lighting a beacon of light all over the world.
    Thank you all for allowing us to peek in and read how Jesus Christ has lived in you & the lives you've touched in Africa.
    God Bless,
    Rene' V

    ReplyDelete