Sunday, October 18, 2009

Rest. Re-entry. Remember. Respond.

(Jan's journal entry - Saturday, Oct. 17th)

Wow, am I missing you all. Your voices, your laughter, your smiles, walking down the streets of Addis arm-in-arm. Eating together crowded all around the table with Ghette’s delicious, lovingly-prepared cooking before us. Our morning Devos, our evening de-briefs. OK, yeah, now I’m crying.

Just woke up from a three-hour nap. Made myself get up so I can sleep tonight when it’s dark. I can’t wait to see each of you tomorrow morning at worship!!

I went to the grocery store this afternoon and saw John Duma from a distance…decided to just let him soak in strolling through the aisles of dizzying choices of every item imaginable at our fingertips. Cases of Diet Coke, Cold Milk, REFRIGERATED meat all wrapped up.

It’s OK to feel ‘unsettled’; about the food in your fridge and pantry. A toilet that flushes every time you push the handle and multiple rolls of soft TP at your fingertips. More square footage in our closets than many of the families of 5-9 or 12 live in in Merkato. it’s normal to feel grief and sadness. We are all looking through a new set of “spiritual eyes.” Life here in Johnson County probably won’t come as usual or as easy for us for awhile. I’m thinking that’s a good thing. I don’t want to forget. I’m feeling a huge responsibility to remember. It really helped me today to get on our blogsite and watch and LISTEN to the video clips Allyson posted a week ago. A WEEK AGO…. Wow it was a week ago we were at the Sheraton skyping back to Cedar Ridge. It is really helping me to sit down and write this to you all. You should probably keep writing in your journals also. Didn’t you miss having morning devotions together this morning? Doug and I jumped out of bed this morning and dashed off to two FREEZING soccer games!!!

I talked with Lana today and we scheduled our final de-brief for this next Friday evening, October 23rd at her house. (Julie and Holly, how about skyping in!?!?!) We are scheduled to present as a team to the church NEXT SUNDAY between services! Please let me know if any of you CAN’T be there Friday evening and/or Sunday morning between services. I’ll be getting back to you about what exactly our presentation will consist of Sunday morning. We will have 30 to 40 minutes. Allyson, I’m sure we could use many photos!!! Probably put to music!!!

Sitting here at my computer watching a most beautiful Fall Kansas sunset this evening. It’s almost 3 a.m. in Addis right now….. what would we be hearing if we were lying awake in our beds? Roosters crowing, dogs barking and birds “gaulking”…

Love you all in an amazing new way, God’s beloved Ethiopia team,
Amasiganallo,

Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment